Don’t know what to do with your tweens and teens? Try these top 15 activities in Bangkok, many of which can be enjoyed by parents and kids alike.
1. Take a class. Bangkok is never short of classes for kids and teens, catering to a myriad of interests. Explore the next generation in educational robotics, learn some new sporting techniques, pick up cooking skills or get creative with art and drama.
2. Go play outside. There are a number of centrally located parks that have outdoor sporting or recreational facilities suited for adolescents. From expending energy on the skate park and basketball courts at Benjasiri Park to exploring Suan Rot Fai by rented bicycle, there’s something for everyone.
3. Get your game on. Perfect everyone’s golf swing at one of the city’s many driving ranges, including 42 Tee Off (Sukhumvit), 247 Yard Driving Range (Rachadapisek), All-Star Golf Complex (Pracha Uthit) and RCA Driving Range (Rama 9/Petchburi). Try XCITE for specialised golf clinics and camps for youth, from beginners to experts.
5. Hit a home run. Bangkok Batting Center offers batting cages with automatic ball pitchers. It’s a great place to practice the baseball swing, while getting in a good workout. Great fun for both parents and kids!
6. Head to the rink. Grab the gang for an energetic day of ice skating, dazzling lights and loud music. Bangkok houses a number of excellent ice rinks, including multiple branches of The Rink and Sub-Zero.
7. Race around the track. Older kids and teens will enjoy the go-kart racing experience at Easy Kart, one of the largest indoor tracks in Asia. Packages include tournament or F1-style races, with warm-ups, qualifying laps, a final race, and a podium and trophy for the winner.
8. Engage in combat. Tweens and teens will love the high-speed adrenaline rush they get from a game of laser tag. Check out LAZGAM, a large indoor laser tag arena with a futuristic labyrinth where up to 32 players can engage in scenarios such as VIP protection, shot-infecting Alien invasions, and other exciting game modes!
9. Solve a Mystery at Escape Hunt Bangkok or Ticket to Mystery. Go back in time and role-play as a group of sleuths in crafted mystery rooms. Follow a bread crumb trail of clues until you solve the mystery of each themed room. Figure it out and find the ultimate escape.
10. Play on the water at Taco Lake Cable Wake Park. Discover wakeboarding, wakeskating, kneeboarding and water skiing on this large freshwater pond. Suitable for both novice and expert riders (pre-teens to adults), Taco Lake’s full circuit cable system enables up to eight riders at once, with a series of ramps, obstacles and thrilling 90 degree turns.
11. Give back. Engage your teen in a volunteer activity, broadening his or her perspective on different social issues and fostering a sense of community spirit. There are a range of Bangkok-based organisations that welcome volunteers; these include the Gift of Happiness Foundation, Pakkred Babies Home, Bangkok Refugee Center, Operation Smile, and many more.
12. Ride some waves. Check out Flow House in central Sukhumvit for an exhilarating afternoon of faux surfing on simulated ocean waves. Beat the Bangkok heat, and ready your kid for some thrills (and spills!).
13. Watch a cultural performance. Our favourites are the elaborate classical masked dance-drama (Khon) performances at Sala Chalermkrung; Sampran Riverside Thai Village Cultural Show; and the Joe Louis puppet show at Asiatique.
14. Play some board games. Got a free afternoon? Check out one of many kid-friendly board game cafés around town. Playing time is usually priced by the hour or a flat rate for all-day play. Spend the day with Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Tokaido, Dixit, King of New York and so many more!
15. Snag big fish at Bungsamran. Fish from the boardwalk or a rented lakeside fishing bungalow at this manmade lake. Test your mettle against formidable creatures such as Mekong giant catfish, giant Siamese carp and giant gourami.