There are still many misconceptions over IB World Schools and which IB programmes they offer. IB World Schools are International Baccalaureate (IB) schools that feature one or more of the inquiry based IB Programmes: the PYP (primary years programme) for children aged 3-12 years old, the MYP (Middle years programme) aged 12 to 16, the DP Diploma programme for 16-19 year olds or the CP career related programme, also for 16-19 year olds. IB World Schools may offer one, two, three or all four of these programmes. If you are looking for a school that offers and IB education throughout, for children from 3-19 years old, then you should look out for the IB continuum logo. You can identify an IB continuum school by the logo below and the schools are sometimes called “full IB schools”. At present there are three schools in Bangkok that offer the IB continuum.
They focus on concurrent themes and events and look at subjects such as history, geography and science through global contexts.
The IB offers a curriculum framework for the PYP, which is divided into the written curriculum, the taught curriculum and the assessed curriculum . The written curriculum (what the children learn) focuses on developing knowledge, skills, and attitudes, while understanding concepts and taking responsible action. This is different from many other curricula which may focus on knowledge only.
The taught curriculum guides schools on how to deliver the written curriculum by drawing on the students’ prior knowledge, providing provocation through new experiences and providing opportunities for reflection and consolidation. The assessed curriculum guides schools on how to evaluate what the children have learned in order to further develop their learning, provide data on student learning and ensure the programme is delivered effectively.
Children will learn sciences, languages, mathematics, social studies, arts and personal, social and physical education. These are taught in a transdisciplinary manner, meaning the subjects are taught within a real world context and connected to each other. The specific topics within these subjects may vary from school to school, but are generally based on international benchmarks.
The MYP curriculum covers the following subjects: language acquisition, language and literature, individuals and societies, sciences, mathematics, arts, design and physical and health education. Like the PYP, the subjects are taught within global contexts (identities and relationships, personal and cultural expression, orientations in space and time, scientific and technical innovation, fairness and development, globalization and sustainability). There is a strong interdisciplinary element to the MYP so students understand how subjects connect with each other. All IB programmes include critical thinking, learning how to learn, internationalism, and service.
Here in Bangkok we are fortunate enough to have many exceptional IB Schools, the following schools are listed in alphabetical order not in order of ranking.
- Ascot International School PYP in the Primary Years & DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- Bangkok Patana School DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- Canadian International School of Thailand PYP and MYP
- Concordian International School FULL IB WORLD SCHOOL.
- Didyasarin International Preparatory School (D-PREP) Candidate for accreditation PYP in the Primary Years.
- International School Bangkok (ISB) DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- KIS International School FULL IB WORLD SCHOOL
- Magic Years International School (MYIS) PYP in the Primary Years.
- NIST International School FULL IB WORLD SCHOOL.
- Prem Tinsulanonda International School IB Careers CP Programme in the final 2 years of High School.
- Regent’s International School Bangkok DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- Ruamrudee International School; DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- Singapore International School of Bangkok (SISB Pracha Uthit) DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- St Andrews International School Bangkok (STA) DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- St. Andrews International School Green Valley DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- St. Andrews International School Sukhumvit 107 DP in the final 2 years of High School.
- Wells International School (WIS) DP in the final 2 years of High School.
Editors Note: We endeavour to keep up to date with the ever expanding changes in schools in Bangkok, this list is correct at the time of publication.
Pssst… enjoying what you’re reading?
Join our community and never miss an event, post or update! Just enter your email address below: