School’s off, there a cool(ish) breeze in the air, and it’s beginning to feel like the holidays. And there’s lots of fun to be had, without having to spend a lot. Here are 6 free (or inexpensive) things to do over the break.
1. On Monday, 18 December, from 3.30pm to 5pm, Anna Manuel will be launching her new children’s book, “Leo’s Pet Bug” at Purple Crayon. She’ll be conducting a free reading, a kamishibai (a form of Japanese “paper play” storytelling) workshop for kids and adults, and a book singing. Anna will also be at Little Pea on Tuesday, 19 December, at 2.30pm.
2. The Thailand Illumination Festival 2017 is on until 6 January 2018, starting at 6pm each evening. Here, 62,400 sqm of land on Ratchadapisek Road (soi 8) will be lit up with over one million LED lights in the shapes of animals, tunnels, a Christmas tree, geometric figures and more. Admission is free.
3. Kick off the family-friendly “Concert in the Park” free outdoor concert series by the Royal Bangkok Symphony Orchestra on 24 December. Pack a mat and picnic dinner, and head over to Sala Bhirom Bhakdi in Lumpini Park. From 5.30pm to 7pm, the orchestra will play the classics as well as Christmas tunes, pop songs and the late King’s compositions. The series continues on several Sundays (7 & 28 January; 4, 11, 18 & 25 February; 4 March) in the New Year.
4. Get the kids to expend some energy at Central Embassy‘s indoor Santa Playland – a 7-metre high inflatable Santa Claus play complex with a slide and small ball pit. It’s open from 10am to 9pm (last admission 8.30pm) on weekdays and from 10am-9.30pm on weekends (last admission 9am). The cost is 50 baht for socks and a locker rental. Adult supervision is required for children under 14.
5. For families who want to meet Santa Bill, he’s going to be at several Dean & Deluca branches: Emquartier on 23 December at 11.30am, The Crystal on 24 December at 1pm, and MahaNakhon CUBE on 25 December at 11.30am. There’s also live christmas songs at Mahanakorn Cube on 24 December at 6.30pm.
6. The Kids Fun Day on Saturday, 23 December 2017 at The Londoner Brew Pub on Phattanakan Road offers a Christmas Party theme. The Fun Zone for children includes a bouncy castle and slide, face painting, balloon arts and a craft corner – all free for restaurant guests. Mums and Dads, this is your chance to relax and enjoy a good meal, cold drinks and all-day Happy Hour!