Bangkok Community Theatre (BCT) is a voluntary, non-profit organisation of many nationalities that works together to produce English language plays for the local community. BCT was founded in 1972 when the two existing drama groups (each originating in the late ’50s) decided to pool their resources and form one organisation.
BCT generally stages 3 to 4 productions a year. They take place at different venues in Bangkok including The DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit on Soi 26, The Alliance Francaise, Creative Industries and Blue Box studios. BCT sometimes stages shows that require child performers (e.g., the musical Annie) and occasionally puts on interactive fairytale plays or pantomimes performed by adults for an audience of young children (e.g., The Emperor’s New Clothes, Pinocchio, Jack and The Beanstalk, Snow White and more).
Each show requires volunteers from the community to perform on stage and to help behind the scenes. If you are not comfortable being in the ‘spotlight’, there are many other fun and challenging ways to contribute, such as props making, set designing and building, costume coordinating or designing, moving scenery, prompting, make up, lighting and sound, ticket sales, publicity and fund raising.
Here’s how you can be part of BCT’s current and ongoing projects:
- Join the Backstage Crew for Shipwrecked! — No experience necessary; a willingness to pitch in and get things done is the main requirement. This will involve several weekday evenings and weekends during the tech and show weeks between 15 September and 5 October 2019. To volunteer, or to find out more about the commitment, please contact Prashanthi: [email protected]
- Help Out at Auditions for BCT’s Fringe Festival — Auditions will be held on Saturday, 14 September 2019, and volunteers are needed to help the would-be performers sign in, take their photo, answer questions about BCT, etc. To volunteer, please contact Don: [email protected]
- Be a Stage Manager or part of the Backstage Crew for BCT’s Fringe Festival — No experience necessary, however strong organisational skills would be very helpful for the Stage Manager. At a minimum, this will require your evenings during the tech/show week 13-16 November 2019. To volunteer, or to find out more about the commitment, please contact Don: [email protected]
- Direct for BCT’s Fringe Festival — There’s still room for a couple more directors for this year’s Fringe Festival. Why not give it a try? A short 3-minute sketch or anything up to a 20-minute one act – it’s up to you. If you’d like to know more, e-mail [email protected]. Come on, step out of your comfort zone and try something new! We need you!
- Still unsure? Come and see what BCT is about at their monthly Club Nights, which is open to non-members for a nominal entry fee. Generally held at 7pm on the first Thursday of the month at Bistro 33 on Sukhumvit Soi 33, these workshops can range from how to build a character and text analysis to improv and dance. They are a great way to find out more if you’re thinking about joining BCT. Get more info on upcoming sessions on their website.