There are still just under two months before the end of this academic year and while parents can only anticipate when lockdown will be fully over, the Bangkok Prep teaching team have gathered a number of useful websites (predominantly for primary school aged children) to share with all the community at home to further assist online learning and bring learning to life at home for all of the family. They are sharing free subscriptions to online learning resources during COVID-19
1. Oxford Owl (www.Oxfordowl.co.uk) Oxford Owl is excellent for kids aged 3-6 years old (Early Years/Key Stage 1) and students whose English is an additional language. Recommended with easy reading books and phonics. They also have a few books for reader’s aged 8-11 years olds (Key Stage 2). This is a school paid subscription but there are some freebies due to COVID-19.
2. Busy Things (www.busythings.co.uk) is a very popular online activity for kids around Early Years to Key Stage 1 (aged 3-7). It is great to keep your children busy by learning through play. They have fun educational games for kids on a huge range of subjects. This is a Bangkok Prep paid subscription. However, Busy Things is having a subscription special for families during COVID-19.
3. Storyline Online (www.storylineonline.net) The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s Daytime Emmy-nominated and award-winning children’s literacy website, Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations. Readers include Oprah Winfrey, Chris Pine, Kristen Bell, Rita Moreno, Viola Davis, Jaime Camil, Kevin Costner, Lily Tomlin, Sarah Silverman, Betty White, Wanda Sykes and dozens more.
4. Loyal Books (www.Loyalbooks.com/genre/Children) (All ages and EAL recommended). This is a free public domain audiobooks and ebooks website. Thousands of books in several languages are available.
5. Vooks (www.Vooks.com/parents) this library of animated storybooks that streams on all your favourite devices. The aim is to encourage the love of reading including read-along pacing, and a visual connection between words and text. It is quality screen time you can feel good about. There is a free month trial for parents.
6. Phonics Play (https://new.phonicsplay.co.uk/) A site packed with interactive phonics games, phonics planning, assessment ideas and many teaching ideas and resources to help children to learn to hear …
7. Swiggle (www.swiggle.org.uk/Squiggle) is a friendly search engine for kids aimed at Key Stage 2 (aged 8-11). Have fun learning to search the internet, and use the tools to keep safe!
9. Fact Monster (www.factmonster.com) is a free reference site for students, teachers, and parents. Get homework help and find facts on thousands of subjects, including sports, entertainment, geography, history, biography, education, and health.” (Key Stage 2 aged 6-11 recommended.)
10. Google Earth (www.Google.com/earth/) Google Earth is the most photorealistic, digital version of our planet. It is good for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 (aged 5-11); and Early Years (aged 3-5) with support from parents. As an educational tool, children can learn about diversity across lands and cities, allowing students to connect what they see to what they experience in their daily lives.
About Online Learning during COVID19 at Bangkok Prep
Bangkok Prep has continually provided an innovative and rigorous online learning programme for children. We have bespoke video presentations and lesson documentation available through our Firefly portal, supplemented by effective online feedback through many platforms. These are supplemented with live interactive pastoral sessions through video conferencing. We deliver subject content for all of our subject areas. These lessons are all designed to deliver the curriculum in the most effective way possible, and to ensure that the learning experience for our children is engaging and of the highest quality.For more information, please visit Bangkok Prep International School
Pssst… enjoying what you’re reading?
Join our community and never miss an event, post or update! Just enter your email address below: