Road trips can be fun but long car rides may be tough for some kids (and their parents). Here are some neat tips and ideas to help you prepare for the journey and hopefully make travelling with kids easier.
1. Get organised before you hit the road. Fill a zip-lock or cooler bag with snacks and water bottles. It’s much easier to access all the goodies when everything is in one place, especially if you are the driver. Fill another bag with new toys and figurines, such as the ones found in street markets and Chinatown (but watch out for ones with small pieces that can be a choking hazard). These are always good for distracting kids so you can relish short moments of peace. It also doesn’t hurt to have an extra set of kids’ clothes readily available.
2. Grab colouring sheets/books of your kids’ favorite TV/cartoon characters to keep boredom at bay. Or something like the large Bangkok-themed sheets from Pretty Little Names, placed over a large clipboard, are perfect. Don’t forget a little pencil case with some coloring pencils or crayons.
3. Try out books on tape and listen to them during the trip; kids will enjoy having someone reading to them and this will help pass the time. It may be a good break for you, as well.
4. Keep a variety of travel games and toys flowing, which will be a great distraction. For toddlers, how about I Spy, a countdown or a counting game? For older ones, have a few “on the go” kits such as the Lego brick travel and play box, Lego brick play tray, and mobile chalkboard by Brickstore.
5. Provide entertainment for babies. While travelling, it can be hard to keep the babies entertained, but there are non-technology-based activities that are still fun. One easy example could be, the idea to look for drivers wearing sunglasses in their cars. You can certainly vary these ideas to include people wearing hats, kids with red shirts, colorful taxis, and motorbikes with more than one person riding them, etc.
Image credit: Brickstore
Register your email address here and we’ll notify you when a new article gets uploaded.