Halloween is increasingly becoming a popular holiday in Bangkok, with scare-themed parties all around town. For kids, here are 5 great Halloween activities that take the frightening factor down a notch, while allowing them to dress up, eat (too much) candy and have loads of fun.
1. Join the Happy Wishes Festival, on Saturday, 25 October 2014, at Benjasiri Park, next to Emporium. Running from 10am-6pm, the “Monster Halloween” themed festival benefits Make-A-Wish Foundation Thailand. Kids can dress up as monsters, and enjoy games, pony rides, live music, food and more. Admission is free.
2. On Saturday 1 November, Nielsen Hayes Library will hold a special Halloween and Day of the Dead event for children. In addition to stories and themed crafts, there will be some games and sweet treats. Events are free for library members, and a contribution is requested from non-members.
3. Geared for babies and young children, BAMBI’s Spooktacular Halloween Party features simple games, face painting, food and fun! Held at the American School of Bangkok on Saturday, 1 November 2014, from 10am to 12 pm, the event cost is 250 baht for BAMBI members and 350 baht for non-members.
4. One of Bangkok’s favorite indoor playgrounds, Funarium is hosting Family Fantasy Halloween, their huge annual bash from 31 October to 2 November 2014. Join in the fun, including ghost stories, a costume parade and contest, a haunted house, glow in the dark games and a magic show, from 1pm to 7pm on 31 October and 2 November, or from 10am to 6pm on 1 November. It tends to get loud, but kids will love it! Admission starts at 280 baht per child; there is a limit of 150 tickets sold each day.
5. Playtime Ekamai, another popular indoor playground, will hold Halloween events on the afternoons of 25 and 26 October, and 31 October. Kids who wear costumes will enjoy 30% off the price of admission, which starts at 210 baht. Special activities include a magic show (on 25 October), costume contests, games, and a piñata (on 31 October).