This year, Children’s Day falls on Saturday, 13 January 2018. As always, there will be loads of free activities and treats for kids provided by various government agencies, malls, and other venue operators. Also, children under 140 cm in height below 14 years of age can ride the BTS and MRT trains free of charge all day. Here are some places where you can celebrate Children’s Day.
1. For a traditional kind of celebration, go to Government House in the Dusit district, which opens its doors to families only on Children’s Day. Tour the iconic Venetian Gothic building, sit in the Prime Minister’s chair and snap pics in his office, and more.
2. Another traditional activity includes watching the Royal Thai Air Force’s annual air show at the Don Muang Air Base. Park at the airport and take a shuttle to the runway to get up close with various aircraft and watch impressive aerial demonstrations, starting from around 8.15am per the following schedule:
- 8.15-8.20: F – 16
- 8.20-8.25: AU – 23 (Peacemaker)
- 8.25-9.05: F – 16, EC 725
- 10.00-10.20: Gripen
- 11.30-11.45: CT – 4
- 11.45-12.00: PC – 9
- 12.30-12.50: AU – 23
- 12.50-13.30: F 16, EC 725
- 14.30-14.50: Gripen
3. Bangkok FarmVille in the Rom Klao area offers activities for kids on 13 January, from 10.30am to 11.30am and 3.30pm to 4:30pm. This includes feeding milk to baby goats, feeding chickens, making salted eggs, planting vegetables, and feeding Napier Grass to adult goats. Reserve a spot by contacting them at 063-415-3888 or through Facebook message.
4. Chang Chui caters to children on 13 and 14 January, from 1pm each day, hosting a range of kid-centric activities on their expansive premises. This includes a workshop, fashion show, music, art, and market held in partnership with KIDative. Also, a limited number of kids and parents will be able to enter their disused airplane “Na-Oh” to see the surprises within.
5. Get up early and go running! Bangkok Runners is organising their annual Children’s Day Run in Lumpini Park on Saturday, 13 January 2018. Come for a Zumba warm-up, 2.5 km run (1 loop around the park), game stations, medals, and cupcakes. Register in advance.
6. TK Park is hosting a programme called “TK Kid Rangers” on 13 & 14 January, from 10am to 5pm each day. The theme is innovative thinking so there will be kids’ performances and demonstrations, free snacks, and other games. Activities will largely be conducted in Thai.
7. This year, NSM Science Square on the 4th floor of Chamchuree Square celebrates National Children Day with ”Gaming with LEGO”. The event includes LEGO displays in various themes, a brick pool for building LEGO creations, LEGO workshops for kids, and lucky draws. The Bangkok Planetarium in Ekamai also offers a Children’s Day programme, with free viewings of the star gazing show in their state-of-the-art theatre (in Thai); tickets are usually distributed starting at 8.30am on Children’s Day.
8. The Bangkok Art & Culture Centre presents DekArt@BACC 2017 “ARTVENTURE on Saturday, 13 January. The BACC will be turned into a playground as well as a learning space. Kids can explore an art playground filled with several platforms of activities (arts, crafts, robots, mobile sculptures, and other creations), games, and performances such as stage plays, music, mime, and folk shows, among others.
9. Any large mall or department store will typically host their own Children’s Day programme, usually characterized by a stage show, toy promotions and themed activities. Below are some places to visit:
- Children’s Day 2018 at K Village encompasses a “Cowboys and Indians” theme, with free games and activities for kids, face painting, magic shows, and balloon art. Festivities take place on 13 January 2018 from 10am to 6pm.
- The Emporium and EmQuartier mark Children’s Day with lots of activities and promotions, including five themed zones: 1. Mali Water World, featuring a 20-metre long ball pit; 2. Jurassic World, with a fossil digging activity; 3. Brick World Lego extravaganza; 4. Paw Patrol Pups World, which has a meet and greet with Chase and Marshall; and 5. Animal World, with face painting and exotic pets on display.
- Habito Mall Kids Camp, on 13 January from 11am to 6pm, features free cotton candy, glitter tattoos, art workshops, storytelling from SISB school, games, and shopping booths.
- Suanplern Market on Rama 4 Road hosts “Kids Day Out” on 13 January from 11am to 6pm. Activities include educational workshops, face painting, games, inflatable play equipment, performances, pony rides, and dwarf pig feeding. There will also be booths giving out free snacks and promotional goods.
10. Many restaurants and hotels are also commemorating Children’s Day with dining deals such as:
- Hard Rock Cafe Bangkok is offering a “KIDS EAT FREE” promotion for families. Order a main course, and children under 12 will get a free kids’ meal. Available from 11.30pm to 6pm on 13 January 2018; call 02-658-4090 to book.
- The Square restaurant in Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit Sukhumvit will host a special Children’s Day brunch buffet, with a large spread of seafood and other delicacies, where children 12 and under dine for free. Kids can enjoy balloon creations and a painting table.
- Jamie’s Italian is raising money for a good cause on Children’s Day, donating 20 baht for every 1,000 baht you spend to Community Children Foundation (CCF). Children under 12 can also enjoy the “Kids Eat Free” campaign, with the purchase of an adult main course.
- Goji Kitchen & Bar at Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park will create a special children’s buffet, serving up fish & chips, mini burgers, chicken wings, pizzas, and sweet treats including cotton candy, popcorn, cupcakes, candy bars, and a “DIY” dessert station where kids can make their own pancakes and waffles. A clown will also be on hand to create balloon animals. Kids aged 6 to 11 years enjoy 50% off while those aged 0 to 5 dine for free. Call 02-059-5999 to make reservations.
- At Cafe@2 of the Conrad Bangkok, the family can enjoy brunch buffet with all the dishes that kids as well as grown-ups enjoy including a seafood buffet, a children’s buffet, ice cream, a candy shop, and more. A 7th floor area also offers face painting, a treasure hunt, the classic bobbing for apples game, and cupcake decorating. Children under 12 dine for free. Call 02-690-9999 to book a table.