Bangkok is increasingly going green, with more organic, eco-friendly and sustainable products available for consumers. Here’s our list of 10 local stores or suppliers that offer a range of such products for babies and children.
1. Green Net Cooperative is a social enterprise that promotes organic agriculture. Among their baby products are organic cotton diapers, towels, hats and bibs. Green Net usually has a table at the monthly Thai Craft Fair at Jasmine City Building in the entrance of Sukhumvit 23, but you can also order goods directly from the cooperative.
2. 141 Social Enterprise produces lovely wooden toys, and as their name suggests (“one for one”), they donate one toy to charity for each toy they sell. Often at the Bangkok Farmers’ Market at K Village, 141 also offers chemical-free paints for kids to colour their own toys, which range from animal figurines to cars, buses and helicopters.
3. Organic Island creates a range of adorable animal dolls and puppets knitted with organic cotton yarn. From lions and zebras to koalas and rabbits, each toy features vibrant colours and are free from chemicals, making them great for babies and young kids. You can shop online or find Organic Island at various pop-up markets and fairs around town, including the Bangkok Farmers’ Market.
4. One Love Baby Carriers celebrates baby-wearing with a selection of high quality Mei Tai carriers made of cotton and silk. You can elect to design your own carrier from their selection of fabrics. One Love also produces organic cotton onesies, T-shirts and toy baby slings. You can shop online via their website or find them through the Bangkok Babywearing Club.
5. Lamoon makes personal care and home products for babies and children using natural ingredients, such as organic fruit enzymes. Their offerings include baby dishwashing soap, laundry liquid, wet wipes, body lotion, and body and hair shampoo. You can order directly from Lamoon’s website or find the products at department stores, all branches of Lemon Farm and select branches of Villa Supermarket.
6. Palm and Pond produces cloth diapers, diaper liner inserts and adjustable waterproof covers. They also offer swaddling blankets, baby carriers, nursing pillows, and other baby and maternity products. Orders can be made from their website, but unfortunately, it’s all in Thai. Palm and Pond usually runs a booth at the major trade shows, including Baby Best Buy.
7. Just Gentle: Organic Skin Care is a fairly new company that features a complete line of organic skincare products for babies and children, such as hair and body wash, hair conditioner, herbal mosquito repellent, face and body lotions and SPF 50 sunblock. Products are available at branches of Central Department Store.
8. Double Monkeys offers organic cotton nursing covers and other useful products for new parents, such as diaper bags, diaper bag inserts, changing pads and diaper cases – all in cute fabrics and understated designs. Such goods can be found at major department stores, or ordered directly through Double Monkeys’ facebook page.
9. Baby ‘n Me, a boutique located at K Village, carries a variety of imported brands, with a focus on organic and eco-friendly products. This includes non-toxic art supplies; organic teethers, lovies and baby toys; and a variety of organic personal care products. Other goods include the popular Micro scooters, kids’ Birkenstocks and Melissa and Doug art books.
10. Naturally! Bebe also sells imported brands. Here, you’ll find organic personal care products, baby toys, bedding and burp cloths, as well as natural fabric swaddlers, and reusable diapers and eco-friendly inserts. Naturally! Bebe also carries Micro scooters, Stokke chairs, Ergo carriers, Bugaboo strollers and more. Shop via their website or visit one of their two branches in Thonglor and Ekamai.