For those spending the holidays in Bangkok, here are 10 festive, fun events and activities happening this December!
1. The Bangkok Illumination Fest is officially on! The first international festival of light, sound and visual art in Thailand, it includes the installation of numerous site-specific works of light art.
Where: EM District, from Sukhumvit Soi 26 to Soi 31 from the EM Station Link Bridge (BTS: Phrom Phong) to The Emporium and The EmQuartier to Benjasiri Park, Bangkok
When: 1 December 2015 to 3 January 2016
Price: Free admission
More info: www.facebook.com/bangkokilluminationfestival
2. Enjoy the Children’s Christmas Party, including stories, games, crafts, snacks, carols and a visit from Santa, at the beloved Neilson Hays Library!
Where: 195 Surawong Road (next to the British Club), Bangrak, Bangkok
When: Saturday, 12 December 2015, 10:30am to 12:30pm
Price: Free for the library members, and 200 baht/child for non-members
More info: 02-233-1731; www.neilsonhayslibrary.com/
3. Bumrungrad’s Moms and Babies Christmas Party promises a fun morning of activities, including clowns, special gifts from Santa, baby product sale, holiday shopping and more.
Where: Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit (7th Floor, Grand Ballroom), Sukhumvit Soi 22 (BTS: Phrom Phong or Asok), Bangkok
When: Saturday, 12 December, 9.30am-1pm
Price: Free for Bumrungrad patients (show card at entrance); 200 baht for non-Bumrungrad families
More info and RSVP here.
4. Listen to “A Time of Giving” Christmas Caroling by the Bangrak Vivace, with all donations to benefit the charity projects of Soroptimist International Bangkok.
Where: Activity Stage, Courtyard of CentralWorld, Rama I Road (BTS: Chidlom), Bangkok
When: Saturday, 12 December, 7pm-9pm
Price: Free admission (optional monetary donation to charity and/or bring gently used toys and kids’ clothing, which will be collected and donated to the children at Lorenzo Home, a home for HIV+ orphans)
More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Join the DIY Gingerbread House Workshop at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit at Basil. Ideal for kids ages 4 to 11, this annual activity is lots of fun; while there’s no visit from Santa, be on the lookout for the hotel’s elephant mascot!
Where: 250 Sukhumvit Road (BTS: Asok), Bangkok
When: Every Sunday before Christmas (6,13 and 20 December), 12pm-3pm
Price: 1,470 baht for workshop (excluding brunch; reservations recommended)
More info: 02-649-8303; email@example.com
6. Get into the holiday spirit at Curtain Up’s Christmas Jingles Workshop, where kids, ages 4 and up, can sing, dance and perform to their heart’s content!
Where: 1/42 Sukhumvit Soi 30, Bangkok
When: Sunday, 13 December, 10am-3pm
Price: 1,200 baht per child (includes lunch)
More info: 085-552-5806 (Alex); firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Enrol in the Paron School of Art Christmas Craft Camp for two days of homemade arts and craft, creating original cards, gifts and ornaments.
Where: Ekamai Road (Sukhumvit 63) between Ekamai soi 11 and soi 13, Bangkok
When: 14-15 December, 10am-3pm (for 11-14 year olds); 16-17 December, 10am-3pm (for 7-10 year olds)
Price: 3,200 baht, including all materials and snacks
More info: 089-795-8765; ParonSchoolofArt@gmail.com
8. Check out L’école Bangkok Cooking School’s Christmas Baking Workshops for Children, where little bakers can decorate a gingerbread house and bake a gingerbread man!
Where: 36 Soi Goethe Sathorn Soi 1 (MRT: Lumphini, Exit 2), Bangkok
When: 12 & 19 December
5 to 9 years old : 9am-10:30am or 1:30pm-3pm
10-15 years old : 11:15am-12:45pm or 3:45pm-5:15pm
Price: 900 baht per child (book in advance)
More info: 081-421-0404; Lecolebangkok@gmail.com
9. Seasonal Tastes at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit is offering special Christmas Baking Fun classes for children ages 6 to 12, getting them into the holiday spirit with chocolate Santas on December 12 and gingerbread houses on December 19.
Where: 259 Sukhumvit Road (BTS: Asok), Bangkok
When: 12 & 19 December
Price: 1,890 baht for workshop (including Xmas goodie bags and lunch; reservations recommended)
More info: 02-207-8000
10. Join the British Club Bangkok’s outdoor Children’s Christmas Party, featuring a huge bouncy castle, a water slider, arts, crafts, games and a visit from Santa Claus!
Where: Silom Soi 18, Bangrak, Bangkok
When: 22 December, 2pm-6pm
Price: 500 baht per child (2-12 yrs.); 50 baht per baby (under 2 yrs.); 150 baht per adult
More info: 02-234-0247